Ingrown toenail is a chronic disease in which for a variety of reasons there is ingrowth of one or both side edges of the nail plates in the skin and soft tissue side of the fingers.
There are different methods of alternative and surgical treatment of this disease, but in the early stages, before emerging complications, treatment of ingrown toenails can be carried out at home.
In order for treatment to be successful, it is logical that we should ensure proper growth of the nail, which will not irritate the surrounding soft tissue of a finger.
To treat an ingrown toenail, you need:
- Create a warm bath for the feet, to soften the skin and nails. You can make it with a soda – 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda to 5 liters of water with the addition of salt, or bath with permanganate (potassium permanganate). The water temperature should not bemore than 90 degrees. Wash your feet for 15-20 minutes.
- Then try to take the corner of the ingrown toenail. To facilitate this painful procedure, take a piece of plaster on one side and paste it well on the side of the finger next to the ingrown toenail, drag it to the side and attach it on the inner surface of the nail. This way the corner of the painful nail will be more accessible.
- Lift the end of the nail with the help of small sticks and try to gently squeeze a piece of cotton or gauze between the nail and the soft tissue. It is best to pre-soak a piece of cotton in iodine, antibacterial ointment.
- Put gauze, soaked in the same substance, and wrap the finger in bandage.
- Repeat the procedure in 24 hours, and change the wadding, gauze and bandage.
- Repeat for 12 to 14 days.
Gradually, the nail will be raised above the soft tissue and slowly come out of it.
If the first day you fail to put a piece of cotton under the nail, place it on the side of the fingertip with ingrown fingernail, and generously lubricate antiseptic softening agent – aloe leaf or a mixture of honey and onion (1 tablespoon of honey mixed with a medium grated onion).
In the evening, put this mixture on your finger and put bandage, and in the morning, wash it and try to pick up the nail.
It is important to soften the soft tissue and change the piece of cotton on a daily basis (between tissue and nail). The nail will grow only in height. After reaching the desired effect, file the sharp corners of the liberated nail.